Carolina OB/GYN is pleased to offer a CenteringPregnancy model of prenatal care. The model provides group sessions with one of our healthcare providers and a co-facilitator. While the first visit is the same as traditional prenatal care–a physical exam and ultrasound, expectant mothers then meet as a group during eight, two-hour sessions held every three weeks at Carolina OB/GYN’s office in Murrells Inlet.
Each session features a topic that is relevant to the group’s stage of pregnancy, such as nutrition, common aches and pains of pregnancy, or contraception after delivery. Plenty of time is allowed for participants to raise questions and concerns, which often benefit the entire group. This interactive model of care, which encourages women to play a more active role in their pregnancy, allows for better relationships, more knowledge, and less stress than traditional care.
Statistics show that CenteringPregnancy significantly improves the lives of mothers and their newborn children. It reduces preterm birth rates by 33-47% and increases breastfeeding rates. Eighty-seven percent of women who participate in Centering breastfeed.
CenteringPregnancy was introduced to Horry and Georgetown Counties in 2013 by Dr. Gayle Richmond, Founder of Carolina OB/GYN. To date, more than 600 women have participated in Carolina OB/GYN’s Centering program, with many women choosing CenteringPregnancy with each of their pregnancies. As the area’s first practice to offer the Centering Healthcare model of care, Carolina OB/GYN continues to be part of an ongoing study to measure its effectiveness.
CenteringPregnancy is designed for low-risk pregnancies and is available to any woman with no anticipated pregnancy problems. The model provides superior care for all participants and offers more time with our healthcare providers, more information, and a sense of security when women may need it most.
Some of the benefits of CenteringPregnancy include:
- Pre-scheduled visits which are just two hours long. You won’t have to schedule appointments, wait in line, or feel rushed during a busy day.
- Discussion topics which you may not have thought about before. Your fellow moms-to-be in the group are likely to ask questions on subjects you’ve been wondering about yourself, or that will benefit you during your pregnancy.
- Lower rates of preterm birth and underweight babies.
- Increased breastfeeding rates among mothers.
- The opportunity to build relationships with your provider and other women at similar stages in their pregnancy. Making friends and nurturing contacts with women who are going through the same physical and emotional changes as you can be helpful ever after giving birth.
• You will maintain your privacy during individual assessments while benefitting from the
- You will have access to your chart, test results, and progress, and will be involved in your assessment. You’ll learn how to take your blood pressure, weight measurements, and determine gestational ages. You’ll record all of this in your personal notebook, which can be kept as a keepsake after you deliver.
Give CenteringPregnancy a try by attending an introductory session. One of our providers will discuss all options for care and help you determine what’s best for you.
Learn more about the benefits of CenteringPregnancy. Call Carolina OB/GYN at 843-651-6525.